12 Tips For Creating And Maintaining A Successful Exercise Program
Updated: Jul 12, 2019
It's Spring time! As the clothing layers come off and the outdoor sport options reappear, perhaps you and those around you have already started or plan to, start working out regularly.
With that said, have you ever jumped into an exercise regiment with enthusiasm and excitement just to see it all fizzle out due to burn-out, injury, unrealistic expectations and perhaps not the best choices? Well you're not alone. The vast majority of new year's resolutions are health and fitness-oriented and the vast majority of people who make them fall short of their goals and expectations.
If so, then check out the 12 tips below that can help you succeed at your goals and help you create a sustainable, varied and enjoyable fitness lifestyle.
1. Start slow. Less is better at first. Don’t try to do too much. Doing too much too fast can lead to burn-out and injury.
2. Set Goals. Make them specific, measurable, attainable/achievable, realistic and time-based.
3. Have some fun by including activities and workouts you enjoy.
4. Stay positive and don’t give up! Keep your eyes on the prize and don't be too hard on yourself when you fall off track.
5. Consistency Matters. Even if it's just a few workouts a week, consistency is essential.
6. Ask for help from others who are knowledgeable and be careful about getting advice from those who may not be.
7. Mix it up over the long-term. Variety is key to staying motivated, reaching your goals and avoiding injury.
8. Keep it Simple. Your program and workouts don't have to be complicated and rigid for you to have success.
9. Don't worry about what others are doing in the gym or in class. Do what's best for you!
10. Rest and Recover. Give your body at least one day of rest per week and take a week or two off every 3 months or so.
11. Drink water. Water is calorie-free and essential for cellular metabolism, proper blood flow and pretty much every bodily function.
12. Healthy eating can help you reach your fitness goals! Good nutrition can be the difference maker.
Get a Free Personal Training Session With On Your Mark NYC!